Monday, September 5, 2011

Chai latte's and Windy Days

It's been duly noted that my uninspired self has left this blog unattended and in dire need of some affectionate, witty writing. While it is likely that no delivery of such grand literary skills may be delivered today, I'll certainly do my best to keep your attention and gain some organization of my racing thoughts. 

My friend has recently taken on a new profession as a stripper. She's a talented, darling blonde who struts her stuff and banks big bills while posing as many a man's fantasy. If one was to meet her outside of the reverie of strobe lights and scantily clad women, she's an animated, brisk girl with an air of innocence in her blue eyes and girly figure with an uncanny ability to tell you what day of the week whatever date you mention falls on ("October 16th" "Sunday!"). I would argue that my friend is absolutely not of the exotic dancer "type". Yet, her confident nature and innocent semblance brings home several hundreds of dollars a night. Her uniqueness makes her a hit.

I could (and did) write a very long paragraph complaining about my current work situation. About how under-valued as an employee I am and how unfair it all seems. But at the end of my rant I realized a) nothing has changed and b) nobody cares.  My friend is making an ungodly amount of money because she chose to go out there and get it.  CEO's choose to go out there and grab their positions, as unethical they may or may not be. I chose this job, and have learned rather quickly, that the hotel business is not for me. Not to say that stripping is for me either (this was a very real consideration for a few weeks, mind you. I'd be darn good at it, but I'm simply not interested in pushing my already-fragile relationship any closer to the edge).  Therefore, as an empowered adult, I'm choosing to look elsewhere for employment. I'm choosing to find a company that will value and and not only utilize, but further develop my already proven skills. I'm choosing to find a company that won't feel the need to babysit their employees. Finally, I'm choosing to find a company that will pay me what I deserve, rather than being drawn to non-monetary incentives.

By the way, the weather is finally starting to change. The high today 89 and is currently 85. The in-house coffee shop finally stocked up on pumpkin spice. I'm hoping the hellish drought that was my life is finally over and the amiable nature of a pumpkin spice chai latte is my new disposition.

No comments:

Post a Comment